Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Better Care

On Sunday morning, my son asked, “Mommy, are we going to Church today?” He looked around our living room at all the half-finished canvases and doubtfully said, ”We probably should stay home so you can paint.” Though I try to make it service most Sundays, sometimes I do stay home so I can finish a project. So Freddie’s question was not overly manipulative. But my defiant Mother gene kicked in and I said we were, indeed, going to Church.

I am very glad we did because the Gospel lesson was about Martha and Mary during a visit from Jesus. Here is the passage:

Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.” And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42 (NKJV)—



It was very good to hear this lesson because it reminded me it sometimes important to stop the frantic doing and listen to what others have to say.

If you have been following my posts on Facebook or Twitter or have run into me in person in the last three weeks, you probably know I am preparing for my first Gallery Show at Clinovations in Georgetown (Please RSVP here http://clinovations.pingg.com/73cents ) The show is on July 29th, 2010. Currently, I spend everyday painting as I prepare for this event. I am running out of time, and yet I will stop work on July 28th to attend a forum. I will delay setting up my show to listen to some special people who are working to provide better care for all of us.

On Wednesday June 28th, The National Partnership for Women and Families and their Campaign for Better Care will host a Forum with of speakers. The event will be at 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM 
at
529 14th Street NW
13th Floor
Washington, DC.
If you'd like to attend this event you can RSVP online at http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site/Calendar?view=Detail&id=100323.

Here is a description of the event from their site:

“Improving the System for Delivering Health Care to Older Adults and Their Families
Join us on July 28 for breakfast and an enlightening and inspiring forum discussion among caregivers, patients, thought leaders and policy makers on how to best implement health reform and delivery high quality care to our most vulnerable patients older adults with multiple health conditions.
Special guests include keynote speaker Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, award-winning author
Gail Sheehy, UCLA Geriatrics Division Chief David Reuben, journalist and activist Jonathan Rauch, HHS Director of Delivery System Reform Peter Lee and heads of the three Campaign partner organizations: Debra Ness (National Partnership), Rob Restuccia (Community Catalyst), and Emily Spitzer (NHeLP). Other panelists include health care providers who are solving critical challenges and ordinary people with experience trying to navigate our health care system as patients and caregivers.”

I will be there. I will set down my brushes and I will listen. If you cannot make it in person please listen to the LIVE WEBCAST, July 28 at 8:30 at
www.CampaignforBetterCare.org.

There will be an author speaking from the heart about her own personal tragedy and there will be “ordinary people” speaking out about their trials and tribulations in the hope, that in so doing, they can effect change.

I have chosen the good part. I will listen at their feet.

I hope some of you will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment