Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Wheals on the Bus

I have spent the last few days trying to collect my thoughts on patient access to the electronic medical record. My pondering led to a new painting and the following poem. I hope both "speak" to you.





The Wheals on the Bus

By Regina Holliday

3-17-10

The wheels, the wheels: they are a turning,
And past abuses do impress upon this fight.
And thoughts of riots, rights and rulings,
Spin in circles in the shadows of my mind.

I go to sleep at night and think of coding.
Is our savior high within the data cloud?
Is access to our care, as great as knowledge?
Where shall peacefulness be found?

Does freedom lie within a soup of letters?
Do PHR’s and IEP’s and EKG’s and HIT
Open doors to our gaining knowledge?
Is ARRA an acronym, or is it a primal roar?
Arghaa! Arise! An EPI pin, to stimulate
The growth of understanding,
That we are all Patients in the End.

Here, I take my stand. I can do no other;
For past abuses do inform this time,
And, two by two my Luther’s tell me
To demand my data rights ,
To be resolute, that separate is not equal,
And that no man,
Should stand
Between me and the Word.

Is 1135 a page in the Annals of Oncology about Kidney Cancer?
Or is it Volume 113 of Pediatrics no. 5 in 2004: “The Genetics of Autism.?”
Or is 1135… simply, “JESUS WEPT.”
I will see you in Galilee, Galilee, Galilee
I will see you
In the ring, the circle, the circuit,
And the wheals they are returning….

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
Round and round, And Rosa parked.
She refused to give up her seat at the table.
ICD-10, Do you intend, to save me from my coding?
Do you entreat, that we retreat?
And expect the patients, now informed and comprehending,
To sit idly by awaiting your instructions?


Physician Heal thyself,
And let empowered patients speak,
And draw attention to those that seek
A better and healthier tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent poem Regina! Loved hearing it in person at ePatient Connections :) Very heartfelt and emotional.

    -Julian Bond (@Julian_Bond)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite part:

    The wheels on the bus go round and round,
    Round and round, And Rosa parked.
    She refused to give up her seat at the table.
    ICD-10, Do you intend, to save me from my coding?
    Do you entreat, that we retreat?
    And expect the patients, now informed and comprehending,
    To sit idly by awaiting your instructions?

    Very nice use of rhythm and rhyme to carry the message. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete